Loyalton was originally known as Smith’s Neck. The sentiment of loyalty to the Union Cause during the Civil War led to changing the name to Loyalton in 1863. In 1901, Loyalton was incorporated as a dry town, the size was set at 50.6 square miles. At that time, it was California’s second largest city after Los Angeles.
Today, Loyalton is the only incorporated city in Sierra County.